Friday, April 10, 2009

Vanna - A New Hope

Alright, I know that these guys aren't Canadian, and 90% of everything that is up here is Canadian so why would I put it up? Well to justify putting them up on the blog and giving them some MAJOR love is that they are coming across the border with tour mates, The Human Abstract, Oh, Sleeper, and IWRESTLEDABEARONCE to kill Toronto and Montreal, so if you are in either city or near the city's head to any of the bands myspace's to see when they are coming your way and get out there!

I was so lucky to get my listening ears to this album before it come out (unknowingly) and fell in love pretty much intently. before this album I had never heard of Vanna but I'm so glad I stumbled upon them, it has been something refreshing to the ears. I say this knowing (after you listen to the album once or twice you see what I mean) these guys have not written something that is so original and something that has never heard of before, BUT for all the true music lovers you are going to fall for this one. I may only be saying this because most people don't pick apart each song, guitar lick, transition, vocal melody... apart the way I do when a band/artist truly catches my attention.

The majority of the songs on the album are structured in a way that is refreshing and captivating from the fist time you listen to the album to the twentieth time through. Most bands that are in this scene today I feel do not have this much talent under their belts, Vanna has the screeams, dissonant break downs, pop your hips breaks, catchy melodies and excellent song structure (the only thing I'm wondering is, is it the magic of Steve Evetts or are these guys killer song writers?). Listening through this album you can hear that these guys listen to much more then just metal and hardcore from the way their pre-chorus' and verses lead into the chorus' (Into Hell's Mouth We March) has actual from and isn't part after part. After going through this album (now 30 times) I am still finding new things out about it. For example, it wasn't until I through my head phones on did I notice some of the suttle leads ("The Same Graceful Wind", listen during the first "drop out part right side) that Nick and Evan through behind some of the heavy grooves and "breakdowns".

Once again another way to turn peoples heads in this scene is melodies, vocal and guitar. Now a days bands seem to be scared of melodies but need to remember you don't have to sing to have melodies in songs, use those higher strings on the guitar. With Vanna they have captured the melodies and the ball braking, Harley riding riffs. I can see why bands tend to steer away from this because it is harder to fall into the scene that embraces you the best. I do know this is how a lot of bands get lost or don't get to show their full potential because they aren't teamed up with the right bands or tours. That being said this tour that these guys are on now will really make them shine and I can't wait to see them.

Enough of this, take a little sample listen and head out to get this album YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, and if you are come over to me at the show and kick me in the nuts.




Vanna - A New Hope
Release: March 23rd, 2009

Let’s Start An Earthquake
Into Hell’s Mouth We March
The Same Graceful Wind
Like Changing Seasons
Trashmouth
Safe To Say
We Are Nameless
Sleepwalker
Where We Are Now
Ten Arms
Life and Limb
The Sun Sets Here

DOWNLOAD

**A Little Update, the guys told me that when it does come to the studio magic, although Steve is an amazing man he only helped with the small things, these boys did all the hard work***

No comments: